Zucchini and Basil Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, cut in chunks (if zucchini is large and watery, remove core with seeds)
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped, divided
- 5 cups water
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh juice from 1 lemon, to taste
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or saucier over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion. Season with salt and cook, stirring, until onions are softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, about 30 seconds. Add zucchini and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add half of basil, stir to combine, and add water.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender but still bright green, about 10 minutes. Add remaining half of basil and blend soup using an immersion blender until it is as smooth as you like it. Season to taste with salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Serve, drizzling with additional olive oil at the table.
Source: Adapted (i.e., simplified a bit) from Zucchini-Basil Soup at Serious Eats. (There’s a 2 1/2-minute video of the process as well.)